Casa Grande Ruins National Monument
Near Globe but situated squarely in the desert you’ll find the Hohokam compound circa 1300s. Now a four-story house with irrigation canals and ballcourt, the 650-year-old monument is governed by the National Parks Service and has been a landmark meeting space since its beginning.
The “Great House” and area compound is one of the biggest prehistoric structures in North America, though its original purpose is unknown. Archeologists think the ancient Sonoran community also crafted wide-scale irrigation systems that lasted more than 1,000 years until circa 1450. Still, much of the space remains a mystery.
The builders of Casa Grande left no written language or accounts. It was Padre Eusebio Francisco Kino who visited the ruins in 1694 that gave it the Casa Grande name. During the late 1800s, as visitors flocked to Globe via the railroad, more interest was piqued about the history of this desert. Unfortunately, graffiti, souvenir hunting and vandalism has compromised much of the area, but conservation efforts have helped to reverse much of the damage.
Today, research, repairs and interpretive programs are part of making a visit to the Casa Grande the best it can be. Protecting and preserving such monuments is at the heart of the National Park Service, and visiting these ruins is a must for any Globe visitor.