NOLA is known for more than Mardi Gras!
If you think of New Orleans, Mardi Gras might be one of the first things that comes to your mind. While a fun and exciting festival, it is one of the many, many things that put New Orleans on the map.
1. Food! New Orleans would not be New Orleans without the food! One of the most well known ‘dishes’ that NOLA can be proud of is their Po-Boys. While locals will debate with you for hours over the best Po-boy shop, you can’t beat Parkway Bakery & Tavern or Mahony’s, the gourmet of po-boy sandwiches.
2. Drinks. You can’t have food without drinks and we all know that NOLA is know for its libations. Grab a cocktail at the popular revolving bar of Hotel Moneleone or hang out with the locals at Cure, an upscale cocktail bar. No matter where you go, you will find traditional NOLA drinks on almost every corner.
3. Streetcars. No, streetcars are not just for San Francisco. Take one of the best and cheapest tours of New Orleans on a streetcar. Costing approximately $1.50, you can hop on the red car and head to Metairie Cemetery, City Park, or New Orleans Museum of Art. The Riverfront line will take you along the river to the French Market and the green car to some of the city’s grandest streets. Be adventurous and explore like you haven’t explored before.
4. Live Music. Frenchmen Street has become the center of New Orleans’ music scene. Renown jazz bands and musicians come from all over to play right here in NOLA at some of our jazz clubs. Snug Harbor and DBA are great spots or if you are a late night person, The Three Muses is a great place to to enjoy the entertainment with the locals.
5. Magazine Street. Shopping is one the of the top things you can do in NOLA. Magazine street is known for its shops and with it located in a gorgeous area, it is all the more pleasurable to stroll up and down the street window shopping. You will find treasures from antiques to estate jewelry to great classical art. Don’t skip out on this adventure as it is much more than just shopping. You never know what you will stumble upon.